Child, Adolescent and Adult Counselling and Psychotherapy
Experienced practitioner who offers an 'at depth' psychological approach.
I offer individual counselling and psychotherapy for adults, for difficulties such as:
Anxiety; depression; low self-esteem/ insecurity; relationship problems; problems with work or family; chronic ill health; difficulties with sleep, food; eating disorders; family changes - separation, divorce, a new baby, illness, bereavement; difficulties with managing anger; addictive behaviours; self-harming behaviour; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; phobias; identity confusions and other disturbances of the self.
I offer general counselling/ psychotherapy for a wide range of problems. I have particular experience in longer-term work with adults who have acute or recurring difficulties.
I also work with and am able to help children and teenagers with a wide range of emotional/ behavioural problems.
I have particular experience with:
- Angry, uncontrollable, unruly or violent children;
- ADD/ADHD children;
- Withdrawn, depressed or silent children; children who cannot play;
- Children with significant anxiety or insecurity, who may refuse to attend school;
- Children who have problems with food - over fussy eating or who are not able to eat properly;
- Children who have problems with sleep - nightmares, bed wetting; or with toileting - soiling etc.
- Children who are struggling with jealousy, upset or some other distress, perhaps as a result of changes in the family - eg. parental separation or a new baby in the family;
- Children with learning difficulties.
- I have a special interest in seeing children who have significant developmental delays or disturbances. These include developmental disorders such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder or Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Depending on the outcome of an initial assessment, I may be able to help some of these children towards better functioning. Please see my page on 'Childhood Autism.'
I am able to see :
- Angry/destructive/self-destructive teenagers;
- Withdrawn, depressed or anxious teenagers;
- Teenagers who have learning difficulties, problems with peer relationships or who have anxieties about 'growing up.'
- I am able to work with young people who are at risk of breakdown, who have suicidal feelings, act out, self-harm, have eating disorders and other addictive behaviours.
- I have experience of working with teenagers who have serious developmental problems. Also those who have experienced abuse as a child and who are now fostered or in care and/ or attend a school for special needs pupils.
- I have a Graduate Diploma in Counselling and am a registered member of the BACP. (Registration number 180120)
- I have undertaken further specialist training to work with children and teenagers.
- I have undertaken additional study to offer an 'at depth' approach to psychological difficulties for adults.
- I have nearly ten years of experience in my own practice.
- I have therapeutic experience in a variety of settings, such as in specialist centres for mothers and infants/young children, in specialist centres for children with difficulties, in community counselling/ psychotherapy centres, mostly for adults but also for children and teenagers, in special needs schools, plus in inpatient psychiatric units for adults.
- I continue to be engaged in professional development and have ongoing contact with other professionals.
I offer flexible fees and times.
Tel 0757-2010656 to enquire or to arrange an initial consultation.
An initial consultation for an adult or teenager is 50 pounds. Ongoing fees are then negotiable. My standard fee is 45 -50 pounds per session. Sometimes lower fees may be negotiated.
An initial consultation for the parents of a child or teenager is 50-60 pounds. This appointment is preferably a bit longer; it usually lasts for 1 1/4 hours or up to 1 1/2 hours.
My standard fee for a child is 40 - 45 pounds per session.
In the current difficult circumstances, I will offer lower fees where there is a need. Please contact me to discuss. I would like to be able to offer psychological help to those that need it at this time; as far as possible, regardless
of capacity to pay.
My area of special interest and experience is in working with children, teenagers and adults who have significant or recurring difficulties.
I take an 'at depth' approach to psychological problems which enables lasting change to occur.
For part of the week, I work from shared rooms at :
106 High Street,
Gosforth, NE3 1HB